Tuesday, October 5, 2010

it's been a while




Oops, sorry y'all, guess I've been neglecting this here blog for a while. Didn't mean to leave you high and dry like that, but life happens I suppose.

Part of it is that this is supposed to be a music blog, and lately my computer has been busted. Public computer labs = no music for me :(

Also, to be honest there are too many things happening in the world right now that I'm frustrated over, things that make me forget about all the wonderful music in the world. I'm very interested in politics, and I'm a big old radical liberal queer feminist, and sometimes I just get bogged down in how much I HATE EVERYTHING, ya know?

But I'm allowed to say that, this is my blog after all! Hooray!

So, tomorrow is my 21st birthday. Perhaps a playlist of my favorite drinking songs is to come in the future...

I've been thinking about concerts lately too. The other night I went to see The Avett Brothers in Oklahoma City, and they were really great. I've seen them four times now, and this was probably the best show of theirs I've been to. They always have great energy, and the crowd is usually pretty awesome. When they played "I and Love and You," everyone was singing the chorus along with them at the end while holding up fingers to count - the line is, "Three words that became hard to say: I, and Love, and You." And lots of people were waving lighters in the air, myself included. That's a great concert tradition.

Another great concert I've attended was Dave Matthews Band. I've seen them once in Wisconsin and once in Dallas. I liked the show in WI better, but it's always a great experience to see Dave. Truly a unique concert, every time.

My favorite concert of all time, though, has got to be Cursive. I saw Cursive in spring 2008, when I was still a senior in high school. My boyfriend and I skipped out of class early and drove down to Madison, Wisconsin. We spent the day shopping on State Street.

The show was at the University of Wisconsin, in this pretty small venue in their student union. There were maybe 100 people there. It was so intimate and so incredible. I got so close to the stage that Tim Kasher's (lead singer/love of my life) sweat hit my face. Yes. When they played their loud, fast and hard songs, the crowd surged and rocked. I have never had so much fun dancing with a group of strangers.

But then they played this one song. It was before their album Mama, I'm Swollen had come out, and they were playing a lot of new stuff off that album that no one had heard before. Then Tim said they were going to play this song live for the first time ever, and they launched into "What Have I Done?"

You could have heard a pin drop. It was amazing.

On the ride home, I couldn't stop talking about that song. I remember telling Damien that it was breathtaking. The next day, we skipped class again, and got in big trouble, but it was all worth it.

Here is a video of Cursive performing "What Have I Done?" This video is from the show in Madison - the very show I saw them at. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment